You can’t beat the longevity, durability, and beauty of James Hardie siding. And the warranty coverage outshines all the competition, giving you 30 years of coverage you can count on. With its durable makeup engineered to withstand high winds, prevent moisture infiltration, and resist pests, the Hardie company stands behind its fiber cement product with an amazing warranty, giving you peace of mind about your investment.
Learn the ins and outs of the outstanding warranty the James Hardie company provides.
How to Keep Your 30-Year Warranty Intact
There are three important standards to adhere to in order for the James Hardie company to honor your warranty.
1. Have your siding installed by a James Hardie Preferred Contractor according to Hardie’s installation requirements.
As with any manufacturer, there are boundaries and standards that must be met in order for your warranty to be honored. For example, your Hardie siding needs to be installed by one of the James Hardie approved contractors (like us). These Preferred Contractors or Elite Preferred Contractors receive specialized training in installation techniques for this durable siding. And in order to maintain this elite status, contractors must meet strict criteria set by the Hardie company. This ensures your siding will be installed to perfection so you will get the high performance it was built to deliver, and it safeguards your warranty so in the unlikely case you need to use it, you’re covered.
2. Provide the Hardie company notice within 30 days.
After you discover any claimed defect covered by your 30-year Limited Warranty, and before you begin any permanent repair, give notice to the James Hardie company. Describe the location and details of your claimed defect and any additional information for Hardie to investigate the claim. Photos of the product showing the defect should accompany your notice.
3. Provide protection of all property that could be affected until the claimed defect is remedied.
If your siding becomes compromised, you should immediately provide protection of all your property that could be affected until the claim is resolved. Before any permanent repair to your siding is made, if applicable, you must allow Hardie’s authorized agent to examine, photograph, and if necessary take samples of the damaged area. Any repairs initiated without prior authorization from Hardie may void your warranty.
What Your James Hardie Warranty Does Not Cover
There are exclusions on all warranties, and with Hardie siding protecting your home, it’s wise to be aware of them. Here are some items the 30-year warranty doesn’t cover. As you’ll notice, they are reasonable and provide boundaries to the warranty that, when observed, can benefit you as a homeowner.
Hardie’s Limited Warranty doesn’t cover damage or defect caused by the following:
- Neglect, abuse, or misuse
- Improper storage, shipping, handling, or installation of Hardie siding
- Repair or alteration to Hardie siding
- Settlement or structural movement of materials to which Hardie siding is attached
- Exceeding maximum designed wind loads
- Damage due to lack of proper maintenance
- Peeling of third-party paint, stain, or coating
- Growth of mold, mildew, fungi, or bacteria
- Damage from water infiltration
- Other items (like tornado or flood damage) as outlined in the Hardie Warranty information
What You Need to Know about the 15-Year ColorPlus Warranty
ColorPlus technology delivers lasting color that is applied in a controlled factory setting.
- The warranty is limited to the purchaser and the first transferee and covers 15 years.
- Your siding needs to be properly installed and maintained for you to submit a claim.
- If you do the above, your siding shouldn’t peel, crack, or chip. In the rare case that it does, James Hardie will cover a percentage of the paint and labor cost to repair or replace the damaged part of your finish.
Take a Moment to Dream about Your Next Remodeling Project
Lakeside Renovation and Design is the most experienced James Hardie Elite Preferred contractor in the St. Louis area. We are proud to have won this prestigious award, which means you get the best James Hardie siding installation available, including a 30-year non-prorated, transferable warranty.
Take a look at our photo gallery and dream a little. If you have external or internal remodeling needs, we are ready to assist you in making your dreams a reality.