Your Step-By-Step Guide for Your Bedroom Remodel
Your master bedroom should be a restful sanctuary where you can retreat from the bustle of work and family life to relax and get a good night’s sleep. But if your master bedroom is no longer functional or has become cramped, outdated, or no longer suits your lifestyle, it may be time for a bedroom remodel or addition.
People remodel or add to their bedrooms for a variety of reasons:
- The current layout is awkward and doesn’t make the best use of the space.
- You want to ensure your bedroom can accommodate any physical limitations you may have as you get older.
- Your closet is inadequate.
A bedroom remodel may include just the master bedroom or additional bedrooms — such as children’s rooms or guest rooms — as well. If your current space doesn’t fulfill your needs, a remodel can give you more space and create a more comfortable, soothing retreat.
If your master bedroom is on the second or third floor, you may want to reconfigure your home so it is on the bottom floor. First-floor masters are both on-trend and in demand for a variety of reasons:
- They enable you to age in place if it becomes difficult to navigate stairs.
- They create space and privacy between you and your children if they are older or if you have frequent house guests
- They allow you to avoid more trips up and down the steps if your laundry room is on the first floor.
- First-floor master suites save on utility costs, as you can choose to cool or heat just one floor.
- A first-floor master affords you greater accessibility to your kitchen or a patio.
In this guide, we’ll help you explore all the possibilities of remodeling your bedroom!
What Are the Advantages Of Remodeling Your Bedroom?
An updated master bedroom has many benefits if you plan to stay in your home, but is also a huge advantage if you plan to sell your home, as it can add tens of thousands of dollars to its resale value and makes it more attractive to prospective buyers.
Moving the master suite to your first floor adds even more value as homes with first-floor master suites sell faster and for higher prices.
Other advantages of a bedroom remodel include:
- It’s an opportunity to update the style to your exact liking.
- You can incorporate energy-efficient features like double-glazed windows to reduce your carbon footprint.
- You can add more natural light or change the mood by adding skylights, recessed, or other ambient lighting.
- Installing new windows with enhanced insulation increases your comfort level by keeping it warm and cozy in the winter and cool and airy in the summer.
What Are the Most Common Bedroom Styles?
One of the best things about a bedroom redesign is you can create a retreat that matches your style and reflects your personality. When it comes to décor and design aesthetics, the possibilities are truly endless! Here are some fabulous styles to choose from:
This timeless look includes rich fabrics such as silk and velvet, layers of texture and color, and darker wood furniture and floors. A four-poster bed or a classic chandelier adds an elegant touch.
This bedroom style often uses a neutral palate —sometimes with a pop of color — lighter woods, simple lines, minimal, unfussy linens, and loads of natural light.
This decidedly modern style takes its cues from old factory and industry spaces. Décor elements include exposed ductwork, concrete, Edison lightbulbs, bare bricks, metal, leather, and other rough materials.
This eclectic bedroom style mixes different cultures and organic elements to create a playful look. The bohemian look favors tassels, bold colors, global textures, distressed furniture, patterns, and bold colors. Textured wall art, photo collections, and statement lighting add a finishing touch to enhance this carefree aesthetic.
To create a bedroom reminiscent of the beach, use muted colors of the sand and sea, and light, whitewashed, or painted wood. Wicker baskets, driftwood, sheer window coverings, and cedar shingles add a beachy touch.
A cottage-style bedroom has a cozy feel with rustic and vintage pieces, low or sloped ceilings, beadboard, and exposed beams. Create a homey mood with a colorful quilt or patterned pillows.
Hallmarks of farmhouse style include shiplap walls, metal or upholstered headboards, cozy bedding, and sliding barn doors.
What Are the Steps of a Bedroom Remodel?
Before beginning a bedroom renovation, it is useful to understand the remodeling process from start to finish. At Lakeside Renovation & Design, our process begins with a detailed discussion between you and a member of our design team. During that initial meeting, the design team will gain a thorough understanding of your goals and needs. The next steps include:
1. A Follow-Up Appointment
This meeting is an opportunity for you to work with the design team to fine-tune your vision. They will show you the preliminary design and share budget estimates. You can also tell them about any tweaks or changes you would like them to make.
2. Choosing Designs and Materials
During this step, you will choose materials for walls and floors or other fixtures, and finalize the design. At this point, your contracting team will already be working to get permits and conduct other final job preparations so they can hit the ground running.
3. Construction Begins
The first step is demolition, in which the crew might take your bedroom down to the studs and subflooring. After that, they can begin the structural work.
4. Inspection and Final Walk-Through
This step allows our team to add final touches and perform quality checks. In addition, both you and the crew will have a chance to identify and address any issues, before ensuring everything is safe and up to code.
5. Love Your New Bedroom
Ideas To Transform Your Bedroom
The fantastic thing about remodeling a bedroom is all of the possibilities you have available. You can completely reconfigure a space, add new design features, or create a fresh design aesthetic.
Here are some ideas for transforming your bedroom:
- If you want to create more space for your bedroom but would prefer not to build an addition, consider creating a master suite by merging other spaces.
- Add a walk-in wardrobe or dressing room.
- Change the color scheme.
- Overhaul the flooring by adding wood, tile, or a cozy carpet.
- Consider built-ins for customized storage solutions
Before creating your bedroom remodel action plan, be sure to consult with your contractor’s design team. Lakeside R&D’s knowledgeable designers will begin by meeting with you to assess your needs and goals and then create a perfect plan for your project. We’ll even provide a digital design rendering to show you what your new bedroom will look like.
Here are some things you should consider before deciding on a bedroom remodel:
- The current layout
- Your budget
- How you’ll ensure optimal sleeping conditions, such as good ventilation
- Will you be able to limit exterior light from permeating your sleeping space?
- Is it quiet in your bedroom or will you need soundproofing to get a good night’s sleep?
How Much Does Remodeling Your Bedroom Cost?
As with any remodeling project, one of the main things to consider when updating a bedroom is your budget. Simple changes such as paint or new window treatments won’t cost you tens of thousands of dollars, but other modifications can be much pricier. The key is to identify your priorities and work with your contractor to create a plan that fits your budget while still accomplishing your goals.
Some of the many factors that determine how much a bedroom remodel will cost include:
- Are you building an addition?
- Will you be changing the flooring, and if so, what material will you use?
- Are you purchasing new furniture?
- Are you adding a walk-in closet or dressing area?
- Do you plan to make structural changes, such as combining other spaces to create a master suite?
- Is there any previous water damage or mold remediation work that will need to be completed?
- How will you finish the walls?
- Are you adding other new cosmetic features such as molding?
- Do you need additional insulation?
- Are you converting another room, such as an attic, into a bedroom?
DIY Is Not Always the Best Solution
Have you decided to go for it and create that dream bedroom you’ve always wanted? With so many DIY resources available these days, you may be tempted to try to do the work yourself. While DIY might be a good choice to paint walls or hang new window treatments, any structural changes are best left to the pros. If something goes wrong, you could wind up with a true headache and double the bills when you have to pay a professional contractor to remediate a botched job!
Certified contractors have the skills and knowledge to ensure your bedroom remodel goes smoothly.
Here are some reasons why a professional interior remodeling contractor is always the best choice:
- Professional contractors can anticipate problems before they occur and have the expertise to address problems.
- Certified contractors know what permits are required for specific remodeling jobs.
- Professional crews have the proper tools and know where to find the correct materials.
- Skilled contractors know how to address problems as they arise.
- Established companies have the appropriate licenses, insurance, and permits.
Choose Lakeside Renovation & Design To Create Your Dream Bedroom
Since 1997, Lakeside Renovation & Design has helped thousands of St. Louis area residents realize their dream home projects, including bedroom remodels. We pride ourselves on our attentive, communicative approach, listening to every homeowner we work with, so we understand your concerns.
Our team knows that your time is valuable, and you don’t have the time to make multiple phone calls just to get a response. We are always available to follow up with you and answer all of your questions.
Recent Bedroom Remodeling Articles: