The exterior impression of your home is about much more than the building itself. Beyond the siding, windows and other parts of the house, you can create an amazing outdoor space that becomes an extension of the house for your family and guests to enjoy. Focus on these three areas, with corresponding tips, to design an ideal outdoor living space.
Make the Most of Your Space
- Figure out how much of your outdoor area you could designate as a patio or deck, and make it as large as you can. You’ll want it big enough for people to move around on an everyday basis and for social functions. Factor in space you’ll designate for furniture, a grill, potted plants and other elements. You may even want room for an outdoor kitchen or bar if you plan to do enough outdoor entertaining.
- Using one flat surface instead of transition areas gives the appearance of a larger outdoor living space.
- Extend the outdoor area from your indoor space with large doors and furnishings that make the outdoors inviting and comfortable.
Think About the Base Material
- Your “patio” area could be a natural space laid with grass, moss or mulch if you choose. In this case, you could add stepping stones and pieces, such as a bench and a fountain, to designate the patio area.
- Your outdoor space could just as easily be created from poured concrete, wood or stone.
- Keep an open mind and think about the material that would work best for your outdoor uses and commitment to maintenance.
Consider Furniture Options
- You really only need a couple of chairs or a small patio table to create a relaxing outdoor space, unless you plan to regularly entertain large groups.
- Make sure your furniture is of high quality and made to withstand the abuse of outdoor conditions. Also, it’s a smart idea to invest in furniture covers.
- An idyllic outdoor option is built-in seating, such as long benches. This gives a permanent fixture to build an outdoor space around, and it provides plenty of seating for planned or unexpected get-togethers.
Count on Lakeside Renovation & Design to contribute to your home’s exterior, whether it’s by installing siding, windows, doors, gutters or decks. Contact us to get a free quote on your project.